Saturday, May 3, 2008

EZ Delight!

I finished my first ever Elizabeth Zimmerman project!

Here it is in progress....


Actually I finished it a few weeks ago. It's taken me until now to post about it. Here it is, my first February Cardigan.


The yarn is a hand dyed mystery yarn given to me for Christmas by Zena. It feels to me like merino because of it's bounciness. I think it works really well with this pattern. The lace pattern softens any colour pooling that might be going on. The cardigan is is shown here with a pair of "Magic Slippers". These were really fun and quick to knit, great for leftover yarn. Don't ask me who these are for. Surely someone will have a girl one of these days!

Before buying this book I had never read an EZ pattern before and boy was I missing out! She's a hoot, mad in a perfectly good way. I was sitting on the lounge reading the book like it was a novel, occasionally having a chuckle to myself. Chi Wai and Brian were having a hard time understanding how I could find a knitting book so amusing. I tried reading bits out to them, but they didn't get it. Non-knitters, humph!

I loved knitting the cardigan and love the finished result. I'm going to try a second one but modify it to make it more boyish, maybe with some cabling or something. A big thanks to the February Cardigans of Knitabulous and RandomKnits for inspiring this knit.

In other knitting news, I am nearing completion on a Phiaro Scarf. My main motivation for knitting this scarf was to try out the yarn. It's called Oasis by the Southwest Trading Company and it is 100% Soysilk. In ball form it didn't live up to my expectations, but now that it has been knitted up, I can see why people gush over it. The drape is just gorgeous. This is knitted in a big tube before you cast off and drop the stitches. Really, really mindless knitting, so much that I manage to get up quite a bit of speed whilst knitting it. I think I have delevolped a RSI in my left hand and it has been sore even when I'm not knitting. Everyday I say to myself "I won't knit tonight to give my hand a break" and every night, there I am knitting. Pretty sad really.

Here's the culprit!


Last night I finished the tube of pain and now I can start casting off and dropping stitches. All of those stitches that have caused me such pain! I'll get my revenge yet. Heh heh heh!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put my Shop&Ship account to good use and have a KnitPicks order on the way and what I'm most thrilled about is the Knitters Almanac, YAY!!! That's a lovely sweater and booties combo:)

Hope your wrist feels better soon -but I hear ya, just one more row seems to be a mantra with all us knitters!!!

Unknown said...

"I was sitting on the lounge reading the book like it was a novel, occasionally having a chuckle to myself" - me too!

Anonymous said...

Your little sweater is beautiful. I like your choice of buttons.

Yasmin said...

Love the sweater. I'm gonna try it as soon as I can get my hands on that book. I love the colour. what yarn is it?

Charmaine said...

The yarn is a hand dyed eBay purchase given to me by a friend. I don't have any more details than that. Sorry!

Yasmin said...

Hey Charmaine! I'm so bummed! Are you too getting ravelry as a blocked site? I hope the block is lifted atleast on ravelry!

Charmaine said...

Nooooooooooooo! It's not working for me either! Now what am I going to do all weekend. How do we get it fixed?

Lindsay said...

the sweater and booties look fabulous! i had my family bring me some yarn and the fitted knits book so i'm all inspired and ready to start a new project!
thanks for adding me to your blog list : D now the pressure is on for me to start talking about more interesting stuff on there ; )

Lindsay said...

my ravelry invite finally arrived and i can't join cause the site is blocked : (

Yasmin said...

Where are you, Charmaine? I hope all is well. Just checking on you;).