Friday, June 13, 2008

What happened?

It's been six weeks since my last post and people have started to wonder what's going on! I even had a concerned comment from the lovely Yasmin worried that something might have happened to me. I thought that was really sweet, so thank you Yasmin, you have given me the motivation to write this post.

I don't really know what was going on, but I was having a bit of a "downer" about my blog. It started with the blocking of Ravelry. For those who are not living in the Arab world, our internet service here passes through a Government run proxy which can block access to particular websites if they feel they are "inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates". I've been using Ravelry for less than a year and when they blocked it it was like a close friend has passed away! I was devastated. Chi Wai, my darling husband was on to it straight away, and filed a request to have the site unblocked. Here was the response we got just yesterday....

Dear Etisalat Customer,

Thank you for contacting us, we are extremely sorry for the fact that the site you have requested (
www.ravelry.com ) can not be unblocked.

Reason: Dating and Relationships.


Can you believe it? It's a knitting site people! What really irks me is that Facebook, the most perverted "Dating and Relationships" site there is, has not been subjected to the same fate. Grrr! Facebook was previously blocked but has for some time been accessable. I will have to live in hope that they will see reason for Ravelry also.

So you would think that the loss of Ravely would have spurred me on to madly write more blog posts, being the only outlet to share my knitting stories, but it didn't. It probably had something to do with the other major component of my life over here, work!

I have never talked about work on my blog before, and don't worry, I'm not about to start now, but let's just say, things have been really hotting up! For those of you who don't know, I'm here managing a project to build a factory. I'm not going to say any more than that because I know it's soooo boring for anyone who is not involved. We are now just a few months away (hopefully, fingers crossed, things keep coming up to delay us!) from commissioning the factory and it is consuming all of my brain power! When I come home from work, it's like I'm in some kind of vegetative state. The three of us, Chi Wai (hubby) and Brian (housemate) are working on the project too, just sit there and stare at the TV barely moving until it's time for bed. So sad really.

But fear not readers! This does not mean that I have not been knitting! Of course I have been knitting, I just haven't been writing about it. Phew! I can hear the collective sigh of relief from here! I even have a few FO's to discuss, but I will leave that for another post. I promise I won't leave it so long this time.

Thanks again to Yasmin and Zena (bf) for giving me the nudge that I needed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!! No Ravelry?!? That is cruel and unusual punishment!!

Katewillknit said...

No Ravelry is hard to imagine ... is it really worth the squillions of dollars you guys are making ;) But oh, you must have so much more time for knitting, and would avoid a queue of projects that grows ten times the speed you could ever knit them!

Lindsay said...

ooooh!!!
so i figured out if you go to a "free zone" (i.e dubai media city) you can get access to ravelry!
i know it's a total pain to take your computer over to a free zone find a starbucks and log in... but if you happen to work in one of those areas or are heading to dubai any time soon then it might be worth a shot!

and i'm soooo glad you are back! : D

Yasmin said...

It's so good to see you back here and to know that all is well.! Yes, I sighed in relief too..lol!
I'm mourning ravelry too - and I understand your pain completely! Like you, I too hope that they come to their senses soon and unblock ravelry....if only they bothered to actually check out the site properly!