Friday, June 13, 2008

Progress Report

At the start of the year, back in this post, I set myself five goals.

Now at half way though the year I've managed to meet one of these goals! Yay! Ticking off goal number two on the list is my first ever fair isle project. Admittedly it was a pretty easy one, but I'm still quite happy with it. Presenting Tam C of the Three Tams fame.


The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Beige (102) for the background and Noro Silk Garden in no. 239 for the pattern work. I ran out of the Cashmerino at just the right point in the pattern and finished up with the Noro. There's one mistake in my fair isle (can you see it?) but I was on the home stretch and couldn't make myself go back to fix it. I absolutely love working with Noro yarns. Love, love, love it! I love the way the colours seem to change organically, blending from one to the next. I even love those unexpected colours that seem to have no business being there. Can you see the almost fluorescent yellow that has popped up on my beret amongst all the muted browns and blues. Love it! I know Noro yarns are not the most buttery smooth of yarns and this is where the Cashmerino comes to it's rescue. It's a great combination. I have plans to make more of these, so hands up, who wants one?

As for the rest of my goals, well I think I will have to get a wriggle on. Still no socks and no lace. I'm completely failing number five, with my project based obsession continuing. I guess there are some things in your nature that you just can't fight.

Something else that just flew off the needles were two Brea Bags. Unfortunately, after they flew off the needles they then sat around waiting to be seamed and lined. I have finally finished one of the bags. Here it is in all it's fully lined, handle attached, button on glory....


I like the way that the lining peeks through, although I can see why other people have decided to add a zip closure to this bag. I'm not sure how secure the items it is holding will be in its current state. Does anyone have any suggestions to rectify this (that don't involve lots of unpicking of lining to sew in a zip)? Here's a closeup.....


The yarn is four balls of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Hollyberry held double on 5.50mm needles. One of these days I'll around to lining the second one. One day....

I have a few things on the in the WIP pile at the moment, but I'll leave those for next time. So until then, here's a photo of me sporting the my beret in 38oC heat!

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

OMG!! the beret is amazing! i love the yellow in it! the bag is fab too... the only thing i can think of is to incorporate a flap/buckle... but i'm not sure how that will look or work... as this bag is WAY beyond my knitting capabilities...

i have gotten ravelry access in DIC so we just need to scout out starbucks out there... we can start a knitting/ralvery group... hehehe

the stripey tiger said...

hey this this is the first time I have looked at blogs in about 6 months and there you are looking stunning!! I love the tam - can't seethe mistake and ohhh commissioning! I cant beleive you'll get any knitting done at all you'll be a true zombie then. V. Sad re blocking ravelry and as usual you are producing an amazing amount of supurbly neat knitting!! I'm almost inspired to blog again. xxxx Shaz

Anonymous said...

You're baaaaaaack!!!

Love the beret!!! The colors go so well together. I missed the stripey blue ribbing until I saw the picture of you sporting it!! Great job!!

I think that the Brea Bag looks great with the button closure because I like seeing the lining peeking through. I'm terrified of attaching zippers to knitting thinking that the stitches will get caught in the zipper!!

Anonymous said...

ohh lovely i haven't look at any blogs in soooo long! so glad to see your doing well!!

Melinda said...

The tam looks great! Wonderful colours.

Yasmin said...

Lovely beret ! And looks good on you . Maybe it'be good for the freezing Malls ( don't they have the setting to soooo cold in the summers? It's a cold shock when you step in and a heat shock when you step out!) I carry my pashmina shawls to the malls and movies everytime!
The bag is gorgoeus too. Great job on it! Someday , I hope , I can learn to knit from you.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely Tam - I love that pattern. There you are looking so nice in it as well. I generally look like I've got a tea cozy on my head when I wear a beanie....

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Your beret is BEAUTIFUL. I'm going to have to make one now.

Just a heads up, I'm moving to Abu Dhabi from the USA in August. I'm a knitter too so if you want to start a 2 person SnB, I'm game!

Kundi

Katewillknit said...

Nice work with the tam - I love the colour changes in Noro too.

The lining of the Brea bag looks great - an excellent match to the yarn!

Aishah said...

hey, great tam, i made "tam a" for my aunt.

i would love to join a SnB, im in abu dhabi too, got room for one more?