Saturday, October 25, 2008

Knit One, Sip One

Yesterday we had a bit of an impromptu SnB because well, sometimes once a month is just not enough!

We got together in the morning this time and on a Saturday for a change of pace, but at our usual location, the Caribou Cafe in Marina Mall. We even had new ladies!

What was most exciting was we had a visit from a lady named Jennifer who lives in Dubai and is going to start her very own yarn shop! Our very own lys, well almost local, Dubai is about an hour and a half away, but still very do-able!

Here's Jennifer (right) with Eva (left) eyeing off the yarn catalogue. Hmmm.......


And here are the other girls playing with the yarn that Jennifer brought with her!


From right to left we have Lindsay, Sydney, Lulu and Sharon, with all the lovely yarn on the table in the foreground.

Quite a few of us were tempted. Of course I came home with more yarn, which I need like a hole in the head, but this time I actually got to see and feel the the yarn before making my choice. What a luxury! This is earmarked for a particular project but I will talk more about that later.


Mission Falls 1824 cotton! I have always been curious to see what this was like in the flesh and now I have some of my very own. It's mine I tells ya, a-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha (evil laugh)!

You may remember last time I talked about our new SnB group, I mentioned Sydney (named after our fair city no less!) who is a non-knitter. Well, check this out! Lulu was a very patient instructor and Sydney managed a whole swatch of knitting and purling. We were all very impressed and I think Sydney was quite excited with her effort! I knew we would manage to convert her!


This is what I managed to knit in the few hours we were there (this photo really does not do it justice, ugh!).


I was inspired by Hala who was working on this the last time we met. Is called the Petite Pochette (meaning little bag!). It's a progressive knit-a-long with new instructions each week and Hala is kindly translating the instructions for me from the original French. The pattern is really easy but is a good mindless diversion from Cherry and I think the finished result will be a really cute clutch purse. I've had the yarn for a while and it was just begging to be turned into an evening purse of some kind. It's Tilli Thomas Disco Lights in Ruby Wine. Lush!

I am really loving having some knitting friends in the same country as me, again!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

i think "knit one, sip one" would be a great name for our group... what do you think? or did we already pick out a name and i missed it??? : )

Anonymous said...

It's great that you ladies got to meet Jennifer and that she brought her stash along with her. Isn't she great?

I love the Tili Thomas that you are usuing for the little bag - it's actually the first time I'm seeing it up close knit up and I'm soooo tempted to get some!!!

Anonymous said...

it was a great meeting as always :)
good company , yummy yarns and a new converted knitting soul hihihi:)

Jocelyn said...

I'm so jealous of you knitters in AUH! Well done on arranging SnB's and meet ups. How did the brunch last Saturday go?

I'm meeting Jennifer tonight so I will get a chance to see the yarns too.

Katewillknit said...

How yummy does that Mission Falls look! I bet you had fun fondling the yarn.

Anonymous said...

Hello

I'm new here in Dubai and wanted to ask if Jennifer opened her shop. If yes, can someone tell me where its located?

Charmaine said...

You can find Jennifer on Raverly.com.
Her username is "circularpins". She is still just selling by word of mouth.