Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book 1 down!

Seven to go!

If you didn't see, I have committed myself to knit/crochet something from all eight of my as yet unused knitting/crocheting books in my Abu Dhabi library.

The first Year of the Book project is finished!

Here is Chi Wai sporting the Uncle Argyle Scarf!


Isn't he handsome! The project details are here.

After my singing of the blues, I seemed to get a second wind and this was finished a few days afterwards. It must have been a cathartic process!

I'm really happy with the finished product and I really hope that my brother Marc will love it (he better!). I don't like to say never but I think it will be a long time before I make another one of these.

That said, I have just started another scarf! "Are you mad woman?" I hear you ask. Well there is a very good reason for this. In about four weeks time, Chi Wai and I will be heading off to London (with a few days in Paris too) to hand deliver the scarf to Marc. I can't wait!

From these photos that Marc sent me this week, you can see that I am going to need something a bit warm!

Here's what I am making (and no the pattern does not come from one of the before mentioned books, I like to live life on the edge!).


Pattern: Loopy Lace Scarf by Katie Harris
Yarn: It's some luscious Misti Alpaca that I bought from San Francisco a few years back that I have been dying to use ever since.

I've also jumped on the FLS bandwagon but I will tell you more about that later.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oooh that argyle scarf will never get old. And the loopy scarf looks pretty and perfect for my big stash of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK. Might check it out.

Come on, I'm dying to hear about your FLS!cocul

Lindsay said...

i love LOVE the colors in the loopy lace scarf!!! and the argyle scarf is a masterpiece. both are perfect for cold cold london!

Anonymous said...

lots of snow this year in London so maybe you should knit a coat :) hihihi
lovely scarves both are soo nice

Katewillknit said...

Scarf looks great, very stylish. Chi is quite debonaire as the model. I'm intrigued to see how the loopy lacy scarf works (hormone addled brain can't quite figure it out from the photos)

Deb said...

This is lovely Charmaine. And such a good idea to knit a pattern from each of your books this year. I may have to follow suit with the books Im rapidly accumulating!

Anonymous said...

hi hi,

im also an ozzie that recently arrived in abu dhabi. ive been trying to find yarn/wool since im trying to knit a scarf for my gfren's birthday but its been a struggle.

I would really appreciate it if you tell me where i would be able to buy it either in abu or dubai.

much appreciated. thanks

Charmaine said...

Hi Anonymous! Welcome to Abu Dhabi. There is not much yarn available locally. Your best bet is to buy it online. There is one shop called the "Green Branch" which is located on Electra Street and they are in the phone book. Are you on Ravelry? We have had several discussions on this topic there.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charmaine,

Sorry i might have dble posted earlier. I was the other anon as well but i thought my original post didnt make it!

Where abouts on Electra please? electra is pretty long :).. No i am not on Ralvry (is that another blog website?)...

thanks
H

Anonymous said...

That's one fine scarf!! Great job! And the lace scarf is sooooo pretty, love the yarn:)