Friday, January 2, 2009

Year of the Book

This time last year, I set myself some knitting goals. Let's see how I went....
1. Knit at least one more pair of socks, preferably two at a time on circular needles,
Well I did knit one pair of socks last year but they were top down and knitted one at a time. I have a definite thing for sock yarn but it doesn't actually seem to extend to the actual knitting of socks. Although, there has been some definite drooling over sock patterns on Ravelry such as these, these, these and these. I'm not making any promises (or goals this time) but I would still like to knit more socks.
2. Tackle at least one new technique such as fair isle or steeking (or both together!),
I can give this one a tick although I think it was completed rather timidly. But that's okay, that's they way I do things. Small steps. So I had a go at Fair Isle. It was cheats Fair Isle (only two colours) but I was very happy with the finished result. Maybe some day soon I might actually get a chance to wear it.
3. Knit some proper lace work (with lace weight yarn),
I'm happy to tick this one off with the Seascape that I made for my Aunt. Again it wasn't a particularly complicated knit but I think it still qualifies as lace!
4. Try my hand at crochet.
Yay, I passed this with flying colours I think with these efforts! I definitely want to have a go at some more crochet in 2009!
5. Try to more of a process knitter (without completely denying my project knitting urges!)
Okay, there are some things in your personality that you just can't fight. For me it is all about the finished project and it's time that I embrace that. If there is an interesting process along the way to achieve the project that I am after, then all the better.

So all in all I think I did okay on my goals for 2008. So, am I going to set any goals for 2009? Of course I am!

In 2008 my thing for knitting books spiralled out of control. I am a knitting book hussy! I bought 12 new knitting books (including two "booklets"), and out of the 20 or so finished objects I completed during the year, only 6 of them were patterns from books I own! I have worked out, that of the books that I own that are here with me in Abu Dhabi (I have more books back in Australia too!) there are eight that I have never knitted anything from. Here's the list.
  1. Son of Stitch'n'Bitch by Debbie Stoller, a book of patterns for men,
  2. Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller, crochet patterns (I have used this for crochet instruction, but I have not used any of the patterns),
  3. Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmerman,
  4. The Best of Interweave Knits edited by Ann Budd,
  5. DomiKNITrix Whip Your Knitting Into Shape by Jennifer Stafford,
  6. Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi,
  7. Norah Gaughan Collection Vol. 1 by Norah Gaughan (booklet),
  8. Norah Gaughan Collection Vol. 2 by Norah Gaughan (booklet),
So that's my goal, to knit/crochet something from each of these books in 2009. If anyone has a favourite pattern from any of these books I would love to hear what you think.

Wish me luck. Happy New Year to everyone! Here's to a great 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, you can do it!!! Happy New Year:):)