Thursday, April 9, 2009

Paris First!

As promised the story continues..... (Beware a photo heavy post coming up!)

So four days after we arrived back to Abu Dhabi, we again headed off to the airport, this time going to London and Paris! I was so excited about this trip. Our first ever trip to Europe!

We had two days in London (I'll come back to the London experience) and then we caught the Eurostar train to Paris. It was really so convenient and I would highly recommend it. This idea of being able to catch a train from one country to another is really so foreign for us Aussies!

We had five nights in Paris and I was determined to see as much as we could. In the first day we saw the Lourve,

Chi Wai at the Pyramids
Winged Victory of Samothrace (just amazing!)

le Jardin des Tuileries,


Musee de l'Orangerie,

Monet's Water Lillies "in the round"

the Champs (des Champs-Élysées) and the Arc de Triomphe.

on the street

up the stairs (hard work!)

view from the top

us at the top

Phew! The next day I was completely exhausted (I was in my first trimester remember) and we only managed to see Notre Dame and walk around the Paris streets.

Over the coming days we did more museums (Musee d' Orsay, Rodin Museum, Pompidou Centre) and monuments (Eifel Tower, the Pantheon) but the best part was just wandering the beautiful Paris Streets and relaxing in the street side cafes watching the world go by.

Another highlight was was having Pain au Chocolat (like a chocolate filled croissant) and coffee (hot chocolate for me) for breakfast every morning.

Here's Chi Wai enjoying his in the park near our hotel. One of the downsides of travelling while pregnant was that I could not really enjoy all of the fabulous foods that France is famous for. No French wine, soft cheese or foie gras (a favourite of mine) for me. I did manage to come home with a tin each of duck and goose foie gras ready for me to tuck into when I come home from the hospital! I'll leave you with Chi Wai about to devour this huge slab of foie gras, and I just had to sit and watch!


Quiz: How many hand knits can you spot in these photos?

6 comments:

Hala said...

nice photos , thankx ;) 4 knitted items? cause i can see 3 scarf and maybe a top at the "wing"

Anonymous said...

Hmm I see three scarves and a hat?
Lovely pics..
Just in February I was soooooo determined to go to France, with hubby alone.. for sometime together.. but I thought it was too late since Im pregnant as well and thought that they wont allow me in the plane! Until last week when I asked my doctor, she said you can go until you are 32 weeks..
Im on my 29th now...

Sorry to see you not enjoying the food.. I totaaaaaaly hear ya on that..
But hopefuly when you finish your first trimester you would be much better toward food... Hang in there Charmaine ^_^

Shyma

Katewillknit said...

You are so lucking, having a husband willing to visit so many museums. Such a shame about the food. The ham sandwich I had after Jude was born was sooooo good.

Zena said...

I you must really love Chi Wai to let him eat that slab of fois gras in front of you like that!

I counted two hats, three scarves and a vest, but pretty sure there was probably some socks or something hiding there too!

Preeti said...

Paris is one of my favorite cities in Europe! Great pictures of your trip - it looks like you had a wonderful time! 3 scarves, 2 berets, 1 vest????

Unknown said...

Congratulations first on your pregnancy, so happy for you both.

Your trip to Paris must have been amzaing. Great photos!

I think I counted 6 hand knits. Maybe I'm wrong.

You look soo happy...