Monday, January 7, 2008

Random Ravings Part 2

But wait, there's more!

I knew there was a few things that I forgot to discuss in my first rambling post!

I wanted to thank everyone who has left comments on my blog. I really love hearing from all of my knitting friends back in Australia. All the girls that I met through the Wollongong Stitch'n'Bitch and the girls from "Every Second Tuesday Night Knitting". I miss you all!

I get a special thrill when I get a comment from a complete stranger. Aim left three comments on my blog recently so I went to check out hers. She lives in the US with her puppy dog and has lots of links to other interesting websites. This is where the knitting blog community is great. After looking at her blog and clicking on a few links, I think I discovered about 10 new patterns that I want to knit (I need more patterns like a need a hole in the head, but hey!). Then I went straight to Ravelry and checked out these new patterns, to see how other peoples projects looked. It really gives you a good idea of how a pattern will look on a real person (not a model) and then maybe an idea of how the garment would look on the intended recipient. Did I mention that I love Ravelry?

I just have to show you one of the links that I stumbled across from Aim's blog. It's a pattern for a crocheted, smiling poo! Laugh!

Speaking of loving Ravelry, I was discovered by another knitter who lives in Abu Dhabi! How exciting is that. Her name is Lulu (I have a feeling that is not her real name though) and she lives on the other side of the island to me (Abu Dhabi is an island, for those who didn't know) which isn't very far away. After reading her blog, 1001 Arabian Knits (great name!) I have deduced that she is South African, she has a cat (as well as a husband and daughter), she drinks wine (yay) and is a bit mad (in a totally good way of course).

This brings me to my last point (I promise!). Zena (BF) and I were talking about how I should start up the Abu Dhabi Stitch'n'Bitch to try and generate some knitting friends over here. I said I was scared that no one would show up! Now that I know about Lulu, at least there might be two of us! I'm still not sure though. We'll see.....

And, just because I don't like having a post without any photos, here's a pic of a sign on the way to Dubai. It always makes me laugh!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, NO ... you have got it wrong ... I am not a little bit mad ..... I am completely and udderly crazy!
And I would SOOO join a SnB group - so what if there are only two of us - QUALITY not quantity!
lotsa love, lulu

the stripey tiger said...

I agree - two knitters is all you need! I LOVE the road surprise sign - It's kind of a philosophical statement than a legitimate road warning though isn't it? Sounds kind of like Douglas Adams' idea of Zen Navigation, If you get lost follow someone who looks like they know where they're going and you might not get where you want to be but you'll probably end up where you need to be.
xxx Love ya Shaz

Katewillknit said...

Hooray, SnB in Abu Dabi! You're a knitting pioneer. Just watch out for those road surprises ... they're surprising.

knitabulous said...

Heh look out road suprise. Sharon sounds like she was on drugs when she wrote her comment, either that or she's just too intellectual for me. But as Kylie (from the yarn shop in Fairy Meadow) said to me and Sharon - 'she's smart. You're young.'

My own philosophy for you Charmaine: 'if you book them, they will come'

Good luck with the snb

the stripey tiger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the stripey tiger said...

Too many typos had to try again - Just saw Ailsa's comment. Ha Ha I probably sound like I'm on drugs all the time when I quote Douglas Adams. But Kylie saying I was smart and Ailsa was too young (to be able to answer a crossword clue where the answer was firkin) made me laugh as hard as the Road Surprise. :-)

the stripey tiger said...

oh and PS I often wish I was on drugs!!

Charmaine said...

All this banter has given me a good chuckle.

I guess you have to be a Douglas Adams fan to really get your comment Shaz. Being a huge fan, I totally get it!

"Space is big, really big"

"Don't panic!"