Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Year that was 2007.

I was thinking about it, and 2007 was a pretty big year for me. It started out with a bang of fireworks in San Francisco Bay after spending Christmas in New York City.

Soon after that came a job offer in another country. Ohmigod! Where in the hell is Abu Dhabi? This was the cry from friends and family. Some were worried for us ("Isn't that near Iraq?") but most were excited for us.

So we had to prepare everything for the big move. Pack up our little house ready for someone else to move in. We also had to take our beloved Lionus up to Queensland to live with his Nanny (my mum).


I miss our little house and our little boy!


The rest of the year was taken up with settling into life in a new country. Dealing the heat, no social circle and having a house mate for the first time in about 13 years, were all challenges additional to the already huge challenge of having a new job, in a different country, working with people who regularly break into Arabic in the middle of a meeting! There were sometimes tears and yelling but I think we have handled it all pretty well.

All this reflection lead me think about my knitting year. Really, in terms if knitting, 2007 was a quiet year for me. There were large gaps where there was no time for knitting at all. The one achievement that I can think of is that I knitted my first pair of adult socks (whilst living in a country where socks are a completely superfluous item of clothing!). Apart from that I don't believe I really stretched myself as a knitter. As a result of that I have decided to set myself some knitting goals for 2008! Here goes......
  1. Knit at least one more pair of sock, preferably two at a time on circular needles,
  2. Tackle at least one new technique such as fair isle or steeking (or both together!),
  3. Knit some proper lace work (with lace weight yarn),
  4. Try my hand at crochet.
  5. Try to more of a process knitter (without completely denying my project knitting urges!)
I think these goals are achievable but enough to stretch me a little bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can think of two more "firsts" for you, Miss Charmaine...

- Your first proper felting experience, a resounding triumph (I love my strawb!)

- Your first baby blanket (I think?)

See, you pushed yourself further than you thought... all the way to Abu Dhabi! I miss you.

Anonymous said...

You have achieved so much its a credit to you, Moving for starters, and all your knitted projects you've shown us are just beautiful.

We saw Alison at the Australia Day Markets and she was so happy with her present. She said to me did you see it, it was gorgeous.

We sometimes even buy the lemon biscuits you used to bring for Tuesday night knitting.
Rae and Kerry