Friday, July 4, 2008

Things I miss.....

Every now and then, I get a bit homesick and start thinking about the things that I miss. You all know I am missing my family and friends like crazy, but this list is for some of the funny little things that I miss sometimes. The not so obvious things.

1. Freddo Frogs.

Yes of course I had to start with something made of chocolate! For readers who are not from Australia I should explain. Freddo Frogs are a small chocolate sold individually, that are shaped like a cartoon frog. I especially miss the strawberry and peppermint cream filled versions. They are just the right size when you need a little something sweet. I hear you saying "but what about Carmello Koalas?". Well funnily enough, I can actually get CK's here in Abu Dhabi. It's just one of the weird imports stocked by our local Spinneys Supermarket along with Bulla icecream and Bega cheese!

My special memory of Freddo Frogs is from when I was at University, my friend Alison and I would go to the Uni book shop during the lecture break and buy a strawberry Freddo and a small plain milk. After that we would be ready for another two hours of boring Engineering lectures.


I miss you too Al.

2. David Jones and Grace Bros.

They really don't know how to do a good department store here. In Dubai they have versions of US and UK departments stores such as SAKS on Fifth Avenue, Debenhams and Harvey Nichols, but they only a capsule collection rather than stocking a good selection of everything, and mostly they only stock clothes, accessories and cosmetics. You know I love these things as much as the next girl, but I miss being able to go to DJ's and GB's (yes I know its not called that anymore, but I just don't care!) and looking at all the homewares, books, electronics, linen or just whatever. I miss shopping there with my girlfriends.

3. My LYS

Okay, so maybe this is one of the more obvious things, but I had to put it on the list. Shopping for yarn online is fun, I love getting the parcels in the mail, but it's just not the same and holding the yarn in your hands, giving it a squeeze, seeing the colours with your own two eyes. When you buy something online there is always risk, unless it's something you have bought before. What will the colour be like in real life? How will it feel? Will it be scratchy? My LYS was called Daisy Designs in Fairy Meadow NSW. Apart from all the yarny goodness at DD, the best part was the owners (Kerry, Rae and Christine) were friends of mine and every second Tuesday we would gather there, a small group of knitters and drink cups of tea with some Lemon Crisps and have a drool over all of the new yarns that had come in. It was tops!

4. Triple J (Radio Station)

In Abu Dhabi there is a choice of two English speaking stations, one is a "classic hits" station the other is a "Top 40" station. Both of them are crap in my opinion, but we end up flipping between the two anyway. I worry about the effect it is having on me (LOL). I'm a Triple J girl, what can I say. I miss the non-commercialness of it and all the local music.

5. Australia

It's funny how patriotic you become when you are not living in your home country. I am always excited and proud to find Australian products in supermarkets and shops. Recently we went to Dubai to watch the Socceroos play in a World Cup qualifier against Iraq and I was passionate and loud! Chi Wai even went out and bought an "Australia" t-shirt for the occasion. Here's my brother Marc who was visiting from London (with the stripey t-shirt and camera around his neck), Chi Wai (with the kangaroo t-shirt, arms folded) and Brian our house mate ("Australia") supporting the Green and Gold!


We lost by the way. :-(

There are many more things that I miss, but I think I have gone on long enough! All that missing doesn't mean that we are not having a good time over here and that we are miserable. Not at all. I just get a bit homesick sometimes. Nothing that can't be fixed with a slice of Vegemite on toast and Caramello Koala chaser!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

i know exactly how you feel!! one of the things i miss the most (besides my LYS of course) are double stuffed oreos! anyways i hope you are feeling less homesick and not working too hard! : )

the stripey tiger said...

I'm trying to leave a comment but bronte insists on playing wit hthe mouse so i's a bit hard. We missed u at knit camp too! It's not teh same with out you although I'ts brilliant to see zenes!! I used to buy black olive tapeade in london when I worked there and pretend it was vegemite. It wasn't the same. I miss DD too we have a pretty snazzy LYS in Berry but it's not as homey as DD! :-) Stripes