Thursday, July 10, 2008

G-L-O-R-I-A! Gloria!

You know the Van Morrison song right?

Today is my grandmother's 85th birthday. Her name is Gloria. To me she's always been Nanny. I wanted to talk about her today because I think she is a really amazing woman!

Here we are together on my wedding day five years ago.


My Nanny has always been such a loving and fun influence on my life. When I was born my Mum was 18 and had not yet attended University. While Mum went to college to become a teacher Nanny looked after me every day for the first three years of my life. I have memories of picking flowers with her in the garden, bath time with Nanny singing "here we float, in a golden boat..." and walks in the neighbourhood. Years later when I moved from the Gold Coast to Wollongong to go to University, Nanny and Grandad would come and visit me, and there would always be a big ice cream container full of Nanny's home made Anzac biscuits and $20 in my hand when they were saying goodbye. I always loved those visits.

These days Nanny is still really active and lives in her own home. She is very involved in the community and with her family. Later this year she is planning to take a three week tour of Vietnam! I just think that is so amazing!

Nanny has always been very crafty. She has tried her hand at almost every needlecraft that I can think of. Knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, embroidery, tatting, black work. You name it, she's done it. Back in 2004, I got this idea in my head that I wanted to learn how to knit, so the first person I thought of to help me out was Nanny. A lunch was planned at my Aunt's house to celebrate Nanny's 81st birthday and I came prepared. Here's Nanny on the day.


I turned up with some plastic 5.5mm needles, a ball of cheap acrylic yarn and a plea; "Nanny, will you teach me to knit? Please?"

Here is the result.



The is a photo of my first ever swatch of knitting (apart from a disastrous attempt at knitting when I was about 10). See how proud I am. The rest, as they say, is history.

Happy Birthday Nanny! Thank you for everything you have taught me. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nanny, you are indeed an amazing lady!

Yasmin said...

Wishing your Nanny a very happy belated birthday. She seems like a really amazing person.

Anonymous said...

That picture of you and your nanny is beautiful. My grandma is the reason for my crafting bug!!