Friday, February 22, 2008

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

The day after the big fishing trip was Australia Day (I told you I had fallen behind) and one of the local international hotels was having a celebration, so we decided to check it out.

It was a little bit strange. I didn't think there would be enough Australians here to warrant an actual Australia Day function, and while I think there were a few ring ins in the crowd, there was definitely a good Aussie contingent present.

They were serving Crown Larger with an Australian themed menu.


We were a little perplexed by some of the dessert items, in particular the "Blue Currant Cheesecake" and the "Strawberry Truffle".

They had also gone to quite a bit of trouble with the decorations.


The "Bush Band" was three middle aged Filipino guys trying to remember the words to "Give me a home among the gum trees" and "Waltzing Matilda" with the "Tequila Song" thrown in for good measure. It was quite hilarious.

Here's Chi Wai and Brian admiring the "Aboriginal Artwork" and enjoying a Crownie. For those who know Brian, don't fret, we haven't driven him to drink, that's actually my beer!


Happy late Australia Day everyone!

3 comments:

Donyale said...

So the Barbied Veal Snags cost half the price of the Kangaroo Steak....hmmmmm.

Barbied Veal Snags........

Interesting Menu - what's the actual cost of the Barbied Veal Snags in Aussie-ized dollars?

Anonymous said...

Hi there Charmaine, photos and fishing trip look great. I found out today that my cousin is in Abu Dhabi, and that maybe he has something to do with where you are working. He is Laurence Cooper. He is going to Africa I think after Abu Dhabi.
We missed you again at Snb today, and Tuesday night knitting. Rae and Kerry

Charmaine said...

Okay, the current exchange rate is about 3.3 dirhams to the Aussie dollar, so that makes the Barbied Veal Snags about $14. Not bad eh!

For Kerry and Rae, Laurie arrived here on Friday and was kind enough to bring Brian and I a Wollongong calendar! He'll be here with us for three weeks and then will probably be back in a few months. I've known Laurie for a while from my time at MM Kembla. I'll say hi for you!