Friday, February 29, 2008

News!

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but it just hasn't happened until now. I have big news!

Next weekend, in 7 sleeps, Chi Wai and I will be touching down in Sydney airport! That's right, we're going home. It's only going to be a flying visit, but I don't care. I'm soooo excited! The main reason for our visit is to go to our friends' wedding, but really I think it was just the excuse we needed to make a visit home. We'll only be in the country for three and a half days (crazy I know), but we're planing to fit a lot into that short time.

The other exciting news is, exactly a week after we get back from Australia, my best friend Zena, her hubby and the twins will be arriving here in Abu Dhabi to stay with us for nearly a whole week. How fantastic is that! I can't wait.

In knitting news, I have been somewhat productive since I finished Ruby's cardigan. I have finished the vest for her big brother Dalton, made a jacket for her baby cousin Thomas, and managed to complete the long languishing Puff Sleeved Cardigan. I've madly blocked everything today so that the presents will be ready to take back with me next weekend (did I mention that it is only 7 sleeps?).

Here's some sneak peaks of these projects before blocking.

Dalton's vest......


Pattern: Vest with Splits and round neck from "Panda 8plys: 11 handknits for kids"
Yarn: Knitpick Swish DK in Asparagus

The only change I made to this pattern was to knit it in the round rather than in two pieces, to reduce seaming. This was sooooo boring to knit, but I think it will look nice on Dalton.

Baby Jacket for baby Thomas before seaming......


Pattern: Ribbed Baby Jacket by Debbie Bliss available for free here
Yarn: Knitpicks Shine Worsted in Seaspray

This was really quick to knit and I think it's going to look great. I've got some gorgeous buttons picked out for this. They are hand turned wooden buttons that I bought from the Berry Markets on a visit to see my friend Sharon. I love the colour of this yarn (the photo doesn't really do it justice) and the feel is really nice and soft. It does produce some fluff though, which I'm hoping will settle down after blocking.

My mods on the Puff Sleeved Cardigan.....


Pattern: Puff-Sleeved Feminine Cardigan from "Fitted Knits" by Stefanie Japel.
Yarn: Knitpick Swish DK in Maple Leaf

As I have discussed before, this pattern and I had issues! I worked hard to resolve these issues and I'm reasonable happy with the result. I'll talk more on this once I have some photos of the finish blocked object.

And finally, here they all are blocking (with Ruby's cardi too)!


Phew! I feel so much better now that I have got all that off my chest!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Pointer Sisters said it all when they sang "I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it..."

Can't wait to see you and Mr Choy on Friday YAY!

Ruby Girl said...

I hope your trip here was just great, it is probably only so many sleeps now until Zena and family arrive over there with you.

Charmaine said...

They arrived last night! Yay! Will try to post soon.

Lindsay said...

Hey! thanks for the tips on getting yarn. I will definitely look into that.
My present plan is to have all of my family bring something different out for me when they come for the wedding ; )
I have also found a place that has a few knitting items in AUH... On the bottom level of the Carrefour on Morrur st there is a little shop that has beads, ribbons and a small (very small) selection of knitting needles and some yarns... i have been working on the guy to expand his inventory. I'll keep you updated on if he really does!! (fingers crossed)