Friday, February 22, 2008

Gone Fishin'!

About four weekends ago now (man, I really have fallen behind), our house-mate Brian took us on a fishing trip. Back in Australia, Brian is really into his fishing, I mean big time. I'm talking as big into fishing as I am into knitting! He tells us stories of his fishing tackle stash and we compare how much money we have blown on out respective hobbies. He wins! He really, really likes fishing!

The kind of fishing that Brian is into, isn't your ordinary stand on a rock wall and wait for fish to arrive kind of fishing. He's after big fish that are a real challenge to catch, the kind of fishing where you need a boat, an ocean and expensive equipment, the kind of fishing where you kiss the fish and throw it back in when after you've reeled it in kind of fishing.

So anyway, a few months ago, Brian announced that he was going to go on a charter fishing trip and asked if we wanted to come along. We said, "yeah! Why not!".

We had to get up early for the four hour drive to a place called Dibba which is actually across the Omani border. Can you believe we went to another country just to go fishing? Apparently this where the fish are!

So we headed out on the boat with our guide Galvin, a young South African.


I've never seen Brian so happy!


There were plenty of fish around.


My plan was to sit back and enjoy the scenery.


You know, read a bit, be the photographer, that sort of thing. Fishing ain't my thang! But somehow I got roped in too!


All in all it was a good, but very tiring day, and while I enjoyed it, I don't think I'll be rushing out to do it again any time soon. It's all the salt spray, the boat bashing on the waves, too much wind messing up my hair, fish slime and not being able to go to the toilet for 8 hours! I'll leave it to the fishing fanatics.

I'll leave you with one last photo. I find it quite disturbing! It looks like I'm enjoying myself, but really I'm thinking "Hurry up and take the @#ing photo. This fish is wriggling and it's all slimy!"

1 comment:

Katewillknit said...

Wow! you held a live fish! I put rubber gloves on to hand the ones from the fish shop. I'm so impressed.