Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Abu Dhabi Knits (Part Two)

Here is part two in my knitting backlog saga.....

Next we have the knitting frenzy in preparation of the arrival of the twins, Sam and Archie. The first picture is of the button-less cardigan. It is an old vintage pattern knit in Knit Picks Merino yarn (the name escapes me). The reason is is called the button-less cardigan is that I could not find any buttons here in Abu Dhabi, so it was sent off button-less! I'm not saying that I could not find any buttons that I was happy with, I'm saying I could not find a single shop that sells buttons, full stop!!! Can you believe that? The cardi is shown with a pair of booties from Debbie Bliss's "Simply Baby" knitted in Cleckheaton Bambino Merino. These turned out a little strange. Chi Wai's comment was that they looked like they were made for a baby with stumps. Needless to say I didn't knit another pair.


The cabled baby blanket is next. Its another pattern from Debbie Bliss's "Simply Baby" and knit in Knit Picks Swish DK in "Skybourne". Its a machine wash merino and it quite nice and soft. When I was knitting this, the cable pattern was all pulled in together so I had my fingers crossed that the blocking step would perform for me and it did. Yay! ZB described it as a triumph, so I was happy with that.


The final effort for the boys was the two vests shown below. The pattern, again, from Debbie Bliss's "Simply Baby" were knit in Knit Picks Ambrosia (80% Baby Alpaca, 20% Cashmere). So soft and luxurious for two little baby boys! The pattern had a round neck but as a variation I put a v-neck on the green one. I think they would look cute with a little white t-shirt underneath.

There, now I'm up to date, and I can start to talk about some current knitting projects. Until then, ciao!

5 comments:

tflrae said...

What a wonderful aunty you are. Sam and Archie will be the best knitted dressed boys around. You both seem to have settled in okay, hope you are happy.

Anonymous said...

Sam and Archie will definitley be the best dressed boys in town! Thank you so much for all the knitted goodies Miss Charmaine, they are indeed fabulous. Miss you.

Katewillknit said...

The cable blanket looks wonderfully soft and warm. Nicely blocked too. You have such sticking power - I'd get bored halfway through.

Charmaine said...

Thanks for the compliments girls. Can you see three photos on this blog? I'm having trouble with it and not sure why.
On the blanket, I was worried about getting bored with it too but it knitted up surprisingly quickly. Also I find that I don't really get bored whilst knitting cables. It must be something about the regular progress points, kind of like when knitting stripes, it seems to go quicker than plain stockinette. Do you agree?

Melinda said...

I love Debbie Bliss' Simply Baby - I am knitting the girl's bolero at the moment. Your blanket looks wonderful! I agree - cables make an absorbing knit.